Thursday: Em and I stayed in in the morning and went shopping in the afternoon. It snowed - only a few flakes though. More mitten knitting, I finished the first glove - it is too large.
Friday: I decided at long last it was time to do something with the two bags of carrots that I bought on a b.o.g o. f. so I turned them into Carrot Soup. It was delicious, my recipe should make 2 pints enough for 6 bowl sized portions.
2lb carrots, 4 sm potatoes 2 clove garlic, small lump of butter, pinch fennel seeds, 2 pint chicken or vegetable stock (I used 2 tsp Maigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillion to 2 pints of water) salt and pepper to taste.
1) Peel and slice the carrots and peel and chop the potatoes, fry off the carrots gently with the crushed clove of garlic,
2) As carrot softens add the potato but keep stirring frequently as the starch in the potato will cause it all to stick.
3) Add the stock and fennel seeds bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 20 mins.
4) Once the carrots and potatoes are soft, turn off the heat then puree either in the liquidiser or by hand in batches. Em said "you must put a wet cloth over the top of the liquidiser to stop the hot liquid escaping and causing injury." (as she learnt in Food Tech at school) I used a dry Tea towel folded up as my liquidiser has a good seal on the lid.
5) I placed the pureed soup into a large bowl and stirred to ensure even distribution of the liquid.
6) Serve hot with thick fresh bread. - delicious
Back to mitten knitting, second glove on smaller needles.