Wednesday, 28 December 2011
We have just spent Christmas with my parents in Dorset and have now returned home as Tony has to work today and tomorrow. My main Christmas present was this beautiful Rolliecord camera - it was made in 1958 and uses 120 film (medium format) which I am looking forward to using. Back soon Jane x
Sunday, 31 July 2011
Monday, 30 May 2011
Sunday, 15 May 2011
Work for the first part of this year has been an unhappy and stressful environment to be in, as we are facing cutbacks and possible redundancies. Hopefully the situation will be resolved in the next fortnight or so, but in the words of the WW2 poster we will keep calm and carry on. I hope you have a good week Jane x
Thursday, 28 April 2011
They sped by filled with sunny days and lazy mornings. We did visit London on Wednesday 20th to see Changing the Guards at Buckingham Palace. It was so busy that it was difficult to move in front of the palace, across the road there was a bit more space. We did struggle to see what was going on, but eventually we caught a glimpse of the Guardsmen as they left the palace Courtyard. Later in the day we ate our picnics in St James Park before going to see the Abbey (it was shut!) so we enjoyed the view and the gift shop instead. I managed to find a couple of teaspoons commemorating the wedding and a fridge magnet.
Thursday, 7 April 2011
One of my friends is celebrating a big birthday and I decided to make her a very special gift. I googled 50th Birthday for ideas and found a suggestion for a box of small things, sadly I can't find the original site otherwise I'd have posted a link. I started with a list of 30 and added and fiddled with the possibilities and finally finished with 50 small things. I collected them over two months and packed them all in a shoe box which I wrapped in gold holographic paper. My friend Debbie loved her gift and especially the little box of hugs which reduced her to tears. Here is the list if you wish to make your own for a special birthday girl or boy. You can tailor the list to fit the recipient.
1. A favourite poem – The Host of Golden Daffodils
2. Candle-To remind you to shine brightly
3. Hand cream - to care for your hands
4. Lipgloss to keep you looking glamorous
5. Love hearts - To remind you that you are loved
6. A lighter - To light your fire when you're feeling burned out
7. A safety pin- To remind you to stay sharp
8. A pack of Smarties - To help you on those days when you don't feel smart
9. A pack of Starburst - To give you a burst of energy on days when you don't have any
10. Confetti- To remind you to have fun
11. Sellotape Tape- To fix things that will not work
12. A Potholder - For when things get too hot to handle
13. A Penny - So you will never have to say, "I"m broke".
14. Birthday Badge – so everyone knows its your special day.
15. A Rubber Band - To stretch yourself beyond the limits
16. String - To tie things together when everything falls apart
17. Elastoplast - For when things get a little rough
18. Crayon - To color your day bright and cheerful
19. A Puzzle Piece - Without you things wouldn't be complete
20. A Cotton Ball - For the rough roads, seek the cushioned support of family and friends
21. Happy face- Smiling is contagious
22. Eraser - To remind you that you can start every day with a clean page
23. Paracetomol – To cure a headache.
24. Battery - To give you that extra charge to keep you going... and going….. and going.
25. Piece of Rope - When you reach the end of yours, this will keep you going a bit longer
26. Paper clip - To help keep things together when they seem to be out of control.
27. A Small Smooth Stone - To remind you that the rough times help to refine and polish
28. A Star- so you shine like the star you are.
29. A Button – because you are always as bright as a button.
30. Glitter- For a glimpse of how the world looks through a child's eyes
31. A fuse - for when you blow yours
32. A small bag of marbles - for when you lose yours
33. A heart - to remind you that love is all around you (I cross stitched one)
34. A bag to keep it altogether
35. A little box of hugs – read its label please. (see below for label)
36. IOU – a 2011 coin (IOU because the 2011 coins aren't in circulation yet!)
37. Seashells – memories of summer holidays
38. A best memory photo – Tea at South Lodge
39. A cup - to make your favourite hot drink in.
40. Tea-bags – for time to relax and rest
41. Lavender sachet for you to bring you a little bit of summer time.
42. A pretty little apron – to keep you glamorous in the kitchen (I made the apron)
43. An origami crane for peace
44. Pretty post it notes for those special messages
45. Pen for when you can’t find one around the house
46. A lucky sixpence from 1961- on a silver chain for you to wear. (purchased on ebay)
47. A bottle of bubbles because they are always fun. (champagne miniature bubbles)
48. Pretty tissues to catch your sneezes
49. Bunting for your birthday – Fairy sized! from allsorts website
50. 50th birthday balloon to make you smile.
The tag for the box of hugs make a tiny box from card and gift wrap with ribbon etc. Attach a gift tag which reads ...
This is a very special gift,
That you can never see,
The reason it's so special is
It's just for you from me.
Whenever you are lonely
Or are ever feeling blue
You only have to hold this gift
And know I'm hugging you.
You never can unwrap it
Please leave the ribbon tied
Just hold the box close to your heart
It's filled with hugs inside.
Thursday, 31 March 2011
Six weeks of illness is quite enough, a throat infection that triggers debillitating coughing attacks which leave you gasping for air are frightening and very wearing. It is one which we are all trying to shake off but we are exhausted. Roll on Easter holidays next Thursday. The garden is begining to fill with spring flowers and the warm sunshine is very welcome too. Back very soon. Jane x
Saturday, 26 February 2011
Thursday, 10 February 2011
Friday, 28 January 2011
A certain little lady turned 15 this week! I think I have shared this photo with you before but it is my favourite. Em is sitting on the Rocking Horse at Pecorama, Beer, Devon, with her bear Eddy teddy and she is wearing the Kipper Jumper I knitted for her, aged four. Happy Birthday Em. xxx
Thursday, 13 January 2011
Its the New Year we are back at school, the budget is going to suffer huge cuts. We've been warned there's a real risk of redundancies and possibly a re-organisation. What delightful news to start the year!