Wednesday 18 February 2009

A Helping Hand Down Under

Whilst wandering about in the blog world today I visited moogsmum and followed her link to TrashCan who is having a raffle with the Australian Red Cross to raise funds for the people who lost their homes and all their possessions in the Victoria state (Australia) fires last week. So I followed the link and donated some money. My Aunt lives in Victoria State and thankfully wasn't affected, but she did send us some newspaper cuttings which were shocking. Then I followed another Handmade Help button on TrashCan's page which took me to more appeals for help. The two that caught my eye were: The quilter that lost everything and another quilting friend suggested sending in one fat quarter each to help her rebuild her stash, she likes earth tones cream, browns, greens. The other was an appeal on behalf of a teenage boy who has lost his extensive book collection in the fire along with all his other possessions, A friend of his family suggests sending a book or donating a voucher for him to purchase a book, there is a list online. With Alice at Uni studying English Literature and with her having a huge collection of books which grows daily, and me, who loves crafting and sewing I suddenly felt there but for the grace of God go I. So I have promised to find a book or two to post out, and I'll see what I can find from my stash.
Meanwhile we are enjoying our half term, I hope you are too. Jane x

3 comments:

Willow said...

How very sweet, Jane! You will definitely be a blessing to both of those families!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for helping Jarryd. He''ll be overwhelmed at how people he doesn't know have banded together to help him rebuild his library.

(I think his postman will be slightly gobsmacked too!)

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so kind of you! I'd be devestated if I lost my books.